At our Brown Bag Lunch on November 13, Mark Phillips of Alpha Hospice made a presentation on hospice care. Rev. Ralph works closely with this hospice program and began by pointing out that there are many misconceptions regarding hospice. Mark then explained how hospice works.
- Anyone whose physician certifies that, in his or her best judgment, a patient could die within 6 months is eligible for Hospice care whether due to a stroke, diabetes, COPD or cancer, etc.
- Hospice can take place at home, assisted living facility, nursing home or even in the hospital.
- Services include medications, nursing/aide (help with daily living such as bathing, dressing, and meals), pain management, social services, spiritual care, diet and nutritional education and bereavement follow up. It includes 5 days of respite care (one time only).
- Volunteers are also available. Many are pre-med students performing community service which is a requirement for admission to med school.
- Your physician can stay in charge of your care or can hand it over to the Medical Director of Alpha who is Dr. Grace Paradela assisted by other physicians including Dr. Kent McDonald. Rev. Ralph is their spiritual adviser.
For more information, you may call Mark Phillips at 435-862-6143.
If you would like to listen to the audio of Mark's presentation, please click here.