On Thursday, December 3, Karen Schlieter, Gerokenisiologist with the Intermouontain Health Care LiVe Well Center gave the Brown Bag attendees an excellent presentation on preventing falls. Fall-risk reduction requires a multi-factorial approach, as recommended by the American Geriatric Society. Below are her major topics:
Five key steps to reduce your risk for falls using a multi-factorial approach include:
- Educating yourself about fall-risk reduction
- Getting a fall-risk screening
- Managing medications with your physicians
- Making your environment safe
- Exercising and participating in balance training
You can listen to the audio of Karen's presentation.
For much more information, please download Karen's handouts.